hurdfr-paris

[Hurdfr-paris] carp paddy

From: Louisa Pritchard
Subject: [Hurdfr-paris] carp paddy
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 01:10:17 +0200

Perhaps his soul had told her soul andshe knew. Moreover, if that offering were not made, they wouldmake it for themselves by murder.
Such were the lessons that the soul of Wi taught to Wi there in theicy silence of the glacier. There are three within whom I watch, said Pag. If he is afraid todie, then let him give another to the gods. They saw it creep into the sea and there break off in sharp-toppedhills of ice.
Cannot the seekers of Death travel to him bymany roads?
The air seemed to change; it grew more icy cold,mens breath froze upon it.
I blame them not, I into whose hand theywere given to feed and guide. The very thought of such a deed made him burn with shame, evenin that cold. Come, kill me that your gods may havetheir sacrifice.
This, Brother, answered Moananga, and there was horror in his voice.
Perhaps they have found a dead seal and cook it, said Wi to himself. Hearken, Dogs, who like dogs devour the flesh of men, said Wi in agreat voice. At length, she could bear no more andquestioned Wi in such fashion that he must answer. That Witch-from-the-Sea has made a wizard of you.
Shall we gather men and fall on them and kill them?
Or rather, to begin at the beginning, she went on, who taught it toyou?
Aaka, the wife of hisyouth, whom he still loved, although she treated him so unkindly? At length, she could bear no more andquestioned Wi in such fashion that he must answer.
Your priest saidthat I have sworn an oath, and it is so. I blame them not, I into whose hand theywere given to feed and guide.
I tried to stay them but theyfelled me with clubs, for they are fierce as wolves and more savage. Turn the hearts of these men, if theycan be turned, and break the bonds that bind them. Andif you would make sure, should I not be killed with them? This is a strait place, Husband, said Aaka, which gives us butlittle standing room.
Therefore, let not your hearts besoftened by his pleadings.
Now the cold and stately Aaka trembled with wrath.
They say that the Ice-gods demand ahuman sacrifice and that this sacrifice must be given to them. More, you shall eat one another and killone another till at last none is left. Still, watch them well who walk in the midstof hungry wolves. I tell you nothing, Wife, he answered sternly. For he sought not his own wisdom only, butthat of his race. The people who called upon the Ice-dwellers, where arethey?
Then he entered the cave and laid himself downbetween Foh and Aaka.
Why should he be sacrificed, leaving us leaderless?