info-fsf

[FSF] Free Software Supporter, November 2008

From: Matt Lee
Subject: [FSF] Free Software Supporter, November 2008
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 16:31:45 -0500

# Free Software Supporter

Issue 10, November 2008

Welcome to the Free Software Supporter, the Free Software Foundation's
monthly news digest and action update -- being read by you and 12,795
other activists.

      Digg this issue: <http://ur1.ca/kdo>

Miss an issue? You can catch up on back issues at
<http://www.fsf.org/free-software-supporter>.

          Support freedom? Join the Free Software Foundation.

                        <http://www.fsf.org/jfb>

Supporters will receive our new USB membership card with gNewSense Live.

## In this issue

* Support freedom: How YOU can make a difference for free software
* New USB membership cards and FSF Bulletin
* New t-shirts in our store
* OpenDocument campaign page gets a revamp
* Bilski ruling: a victory on the path to ending software patents
* Show your support with the FSF campaigns widget
* DefectiveByDesign.org: MP3-compatible, a new DRM-free music promotion
* xkcd, "Steal this comic"
* DefectiveByDesign.org: Petition against SecuROM
* FSF releases new version of GNU Free Documentation License
* PlayOgg: Theora 1.0 is released!
* Microsoft's global anti-user day
* GNU spotlight with Karl Berry
* Richard Stallman's speaking schedule and other FSF events
* Take action!

### Support freedom: How YOU can make a difference for free software

Today we are launching our year-end fundraiser to support our 2009
campaign goals for software freedom. Our target is 750 new FSF members
and donors by January 31. As a supporter of free software, your
charitable donation to the Free Software Foundation helps us to continue
our work to advance user freedom.

Read about our achievements in 2008 that member support made possible:

  * <http://www.fsf.org/news/fall-2008-fundraiser>

>Twenty-five years ago on September 27, 1983, I announced a plan to
>create a completely free operating system called GNU —- for 'GNU is
>not Unix' -- there are many ways you can help GNU and free
>software. One basic way is to join the Free Software Foundation as
>an Associate Member. -- Richard Stallman

There are many ways you can help us:

  * Join the FSF as an associate member: <http://fsf.org/jfb>
  * Make a one time donation to the FSF: <http://fsf.org/donate>

If you're already a member, consider giving someone a gift
membership. This is a great way to introduce a new user to the world
of free software.

  * <http://www.fsf.org/associate/gift/>

### New USB membership cards and FSF Bulletin

New members to the FSF will receive a 1GB card loaded with gNewSense
Live, a fully free GNU/Linux distribution. This ultra-slim
credit-card-sized device comes with your FSF username and membership
number printed on it.

The card sports an incredibly sturdy and durable double-sided USB
connector and fits in a wallet so you can take it anywhere --
sharing gNewSense on the go!

  * <https://www.fsf.org/associate/benefits.html>

The next issue of the Free Software Foundation biannual Bulletin is
also almost finished. To receive your copy in time for the holidays,
be sure to join today!

  * <http://www.fsf.org/jfb>

### New t-shirts in our store

  * <http://shop.fsf.org/product/DRM_No_One_Admitted/>
  * <http://shop.fsf.org/product/Gnu_Head_shirt/>
  * <http://shop.fsf.org/product/Live_The_Dream/>
  * <http://shop.fsf.org/product/Thanx_Gnu/>

Visit the FSF store for shirts, toys and books -- <http://shop.fsf.org>

### OpenDocument campaign page gets a revamp

The OpenDocument format (ODF) is a format for electronic office
documents, such as spreadsheets, charts, presentations and
word-processing documents. The OpenDocument format is supported by
free software applications such as OpenOffice.org, AbiWord and
KOffice.

Encourage your friends to join the campaign and let's put an end to
Word attachments.

  * <http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/opendocument/>

### Bilski case: What it means for software patents

In April of this year, the Free Software Foundation through its End
Software Patents (ESP) campaign filed an amicus brief
<http://endsoftpatents.org/bilski> to the U.S. Court of Appeals for
the Federal Circuit (CAFC) in their en banc hearing of *in re Bilski*,
describing the hearing as "an historic opportunity to fix the US
patent system, as the *Bilski* rehearing will directly address the
boundaries of the subject matter of patents."  On October 30, 2008, the
CAFC issued its ruling, and in it ESP sees a victory on the path to
ending software patents.

  * <http://www.fsf.org/news/esp-bilski/>

### Show your support with the FSF campaigns widget

Want to help the FSF with its fundraising activities? By putting our
campaigns widgets on your website or blog, you can help us reach our
fundraising target of 750 new members.

After the success of the widget last year, we're doing it again this
year. We now also have a static image version of the widget, updated
daily, for users of various blogs and social networking sites who
need to avoid javascript.

  * <http://www.fsf.org/associate/widget>

### DefectiveByDesign.org: MP3-compatible, a new DRM-free music promotion

In Britain, seven of the largest retailers of MP3 downloads have
produced a logo which promotes DRM-free downloads.

Ben Drury from 7Digital, one of the first online retailers in the UK
to offer MP3 downloads said that online sales "have been booming"
because users "love the freedom of MP3".

  * <http://www.defectivebydesign.org/mp3-logo-scheme>

### xkcd, "Steal this comic"

Randall Munroe, creator of the xkcd comic:

>I spent more time trying to get an audible.com audio book playing
>than it took to listen to the book. I have lost every other piece
>of DRM-locked music I have paid for.

  * <http://xkcd.com/488/>

### DefectiveByDesign.org: Petition against SecuROM

If you're in the UK, please lend your support to this petition against
SecuROM.

  * <http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/SecuROM/>

SecuROM is DRM typically found on games, such as Electronic Arts's
game Spore. SecuROM has been known to hide itself, similar to a
virus, as well as refuse to install games if it detects commonly
used CD/DVD writing software.

### FSF releases new version of GNU Free Documentation License

The FSF has released the latest version of the GNU Free Documentation
License. This version of the license allows public wikis to relicense
their FDL-covered materials under the Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike (CC-BY-SA) 3.0 license.

This new permission has been added at the request of the Wikimedia
Foundation, which oversees the Wikipedia project. The same terms are
available to any public wiki that uses materials available under the
new license. The Wikimedia Foundation will now initiate a process of
community discussion and voting to determine whether or not to use
CC-BY-SA 3.0 as the license for Wikipedia.

  * <http://www.fsf.org/news/fdl-1.3-pr.html>

### PlayOgg.org: Theora 1.0 is released!

The Xiph.Org Foundation has announced the release of Theora 1.0. As a
patent- and royalty-free video codec, Theora is an excellent choice
for artists, producers and developers who want to help make a world in
which everyone can safely and easily use free software. Theora has
been standardized since 2004 but this mature and stable release is an
important milestone.

  * <http://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/playogg-theora-1.0>

### Microsoft's global anti-user day

Microsoft recently announced something they called "Global Anti-Piracy
Day".

Software companies like Microsoft often refer to copying they don't
approve of as "piracy." They suggest that such copying is ethically
equivalent to murder and robbery. Even these far-fetched analogies are
not enough for Microsoft, who in their press release yesterday updated
the comparison to draw a connection between such copying and organized
crime: "There is growing evidence that highly organized, transnational
criminal organizations and networks are involved in the counterfeiting
of software..."

  * <http://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/global-anti-user-day>

### GNU spotlight with Karl Berry

Perhaps the most notable GNU/FSF release for October 2008 is version
1.3 of the GNU Free Documentation License, which GNU manuals and many
others use.  <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/fdl.html> has the new
license, a FAQ, and other information

Here is the complete list of GNU software releases for October:

binutils-2.19 bison-2.4      clisp-2.47   ed-1.1   gama-1.9.06
gforth-0.7.0
global-5.7.3  glpk-4.33      gnash-0.8.4  libcdio-0.81  libextractor-0.5.21
libidn-1.11   libosip2-3.2.0 m4-1.4.12    maverik-6.2   maverik-demos-6.2
ncurses-5.7   octave-3.0.3   pspp-0.6.1   smalltalk-3.1 swbis-1.1

See the packages' announcements, web pages
(http://www.gnu.org/software/PKGNAME) or the distributions themselves
for details.  Nearly all are available from <http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/>,
or preferably one of its mirrors (<http://www.gnu.org/prep/ftp.html>).

To get announcements of most new GNU packages, subscribe to the info-gnu
mailing list (<http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/info-gnu>), which
is publicly archived (<http://lists.gnu.org/pipermail/info-gnu>).

I'd like to give a warm welcome to the newly-dubbed maintainers Leo
Jackson (maverik), Vincent Lefevre (mpfr), and Peter Wainwright (ddd).

Several GNU packages are looking for maintainers.

Please see <http://www.gnu.org/server/takeaction.html#unmaint> if
you'd like to help.  To submit new packages to GNU, see
<http://www.gnu.org/help/evaluation.html>.

Please feel free to write to me, <address@hidden>, with any GNUish
questions or suggestions for future installments.

### Richard Stallman's speaking schedule and other FSF events