info-fsf

[FSF] 25 years of GNU - support software freedom!

From: Peter Brown
Subject: [FSF] 25 years of GNU - support software freedom!
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 09:47:14 -0000

Dear Free Software Supporter,

Tomorrow we mark the end of our year-long celebration of the 25th
anniversary of the GNU Project---a celebration that we kicked off in
September 2008 with a wonderful video from author and comedian Stephen
Fry (http://www.gnu.org/fry/).

Today, we celebrate the fact that we have passed 25,000 subscribers to
our monthly newsletter, the Free Software Supporter
(http://www.fsf.org/fss), and we thank the 3,200 individuals who have
joined the Free Software Foundation as associate members to fund our
work. You can join their ranks now and become a proud card carrying member:

  * Becoming an FSF Associate Member
    <http://fsf.org/jf>

  * Give a gift of FSF Membership
    <http://www.fsf.org/associate/gift/>

  * As a member use our widget to refer your friends
    <https://my.fsf.org/associate/widget/>

  * Donate without membership
    <https://my.fsf.org/donate/>

I am proud that the FSF has so many dedicated activists and members, who
every day voice their support for our mission and advocate for a free
society.

The free software movement has had an excellent year, and awareness of
the ethical importance of free software is growing. Together, we are
fighting the scourge of proprietary software, software patents, Digital
Restrictions Management, and Treacherous Computing, in an effort to
build a world of free software where we the users are free.

"I could have made money [by joining the proprietary software world],
and perhaps amused myself writing code. But I knew that at the end of my
career, I would look back on years of building walls to divide people,
and feel I had spent my life making the world a worse place." Richard
Stallman, GNU Project (http://www.gnu.org/gnu/thegnuproject.html).

Join as a member now at <http://fsf.org/jf> or donate
<https://my.fsf.org/donate/>

Please spread the word by forwarding this e-mail or linking to this
message at <http://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/25-years-of-gnu>.

Sincerely,

Peter and the Free Software Foundation team.

--
Peter Brown
Executive Director