info-gnu

ANNOUNCE: lsh-2.1

From: Niels Möller
Subject: ANNOUNCE: lsh-2.1
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 14:16:04 +0200

I'm happy to announce a new release of GNU lsh, an implementation of the
secure shell protocols. This is a maintenance release, with no new
features.

News for the 2.1 release

        No longer includes the Nettle library; GNU Nettle has to be
        installed separately. At least version 2.2 is needed.
        Available at ftp.gnu.org.

        Includes several improvements from debian maintainer Magnus
        Holmgren:

         * Make lsh exit properly on connection failure.

         * Improved lsh error message when seed file doesn't exist.

         * Make lshd set the IPV6_V6ONLY option when binding IPv6
           sockets.

        Uses a more recent version of automake, avoiding a
        vulnerability in the automake-generated distcheck target.

        Use service name "lshd" in lsh-pam-checkpw (patch from Ludovic
        Courtès).

        Fixed an utmp-related build problem on GNU/Linux x86_64.

        Testsuite includes new versions of tcpconnect and mini-inetd,
        which work better with IPv6.

Available at ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/lsh/lsh-2.1.tar.gz.

Development of LSH have seen slow progress in recent years, for various
reasons. I'm working towards lsh-3.0, and users and developers are
encouraged to check out the development version. The client side of the
development version is pretty solid, I'm using it daily since a long
time. The server side has seen less testing. An (old) summary of
differences between 2.x and the development version can be found at
http://lists.lysator.liu.se/pipermail/lsh-bugs/2007q2/000598.html, and a
list of important things that remain to do is maintained at
http://www.lysator.liu.se/~nisse/lsh/plan.html.

I'd be happy to see a new co-maintainer or maintainer for LSH, to help
move the project forward. Please mail me if you are interested.
Non-maintainer contributions are of course also welcome.

The LSH homepage, http://www.lysator.liu.se/~nisse/lsh/, includes
information about the psst mailinglist, the public git repoitory, as
well as the online manual.

Happy hacking,
/Niels Möller