info-gnu

zile-2.6.1 released [stable]

From: Reuben Thomas
Subject: zile-2.6.1 released [stable]
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2021 22:36:07 +0000

I am delighted to announce the first in a new stable release series of
Zile.

This version should be just like the last for users, but has been
completely
rewritten in Vala, for easier maintenance. I hope this will allow me to
keep
maintaining Zile for the foreseeable future with less work.

However, while the process of translating all the code to Vala flushed out
several bugs, which I have fixed, and eliminated whole classes of potential
bug, it is of course likely that new bugs have been introduced, and have
not
been found in beta and pre-testing. I beg users’ pardon for these, and
encourage them to report bugs on Savannah at:

https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/zile

I will attempt to fix them quickly!

As I mentioned in a previous announcement, translating Zile into Vala has
been an enjoyable experience, the result is far more fun to work with than
the C version, and I encourage other maintainers who can make the effort to
consider translating their mature C code into Vala. It is something I will
certainly consider doing for other projects.

Here are the compressed sources and a GPG detached signature[*]:
  https://ftpmirror.gnu.org/zile/zile-2.6.1.tar.gz
  https://ftpmirror.gnu.org/zile/zile-2.6.1.tar.gz.sig

Use a mirror for higher download bandwidth:
  https://www.gnu.org/order/ftp.html

[*] Use a .sig file to verify that the corresponding file (without the
.sig suffix) is intact.  First, be sure to download both the .sig file
and the corresponding tarball.  Then, run a command like this:

  gpg --verify zile-2.6.1.tar.gz.sig

If that command fails because you don't have the required public key,
then run this command to import it:

  gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-keys 4C8EF3DA3FD37230

and rerun the 'gpg --verify' command.

This release was bootstrapped with the following tools:
  Autoconf 2.69
  Automake 1.16.1
  Gnulib v0.1-4513-g79a63f591

NEWS

* Noteworthy changes in release 2.6.1 (2021-03-24) [stable]

** Miscellaneous

  Since version 2.4.x, the program has been completely rewritten in Vala.
  The process of rewriting uncovered several bugs, which have been fixed;
  functionally, Zile should work just as it did before.