Re: BSOD on WinXP?

From: Stephen Powell
Subject: Re: BSOD on WinXP?
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 17:10:23 +1000

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, 4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de wrote:

On Tue, Apr 27 2004, David Rogoff wrote:

>> However, for months now
>> (since installing WinXP) gnus has been crashing my PC about once or
>> twice a week. It always seems to be when I hit g
>> (gnus-group-get-new-news).  I get a quick Blue Screen and then the
>> PC reboots.
>
> Lisp code like Gnus should never crash (X)Emacs.

User code should never crash windows¹. Perhaps the user should check
for a faulty device driver or similar operating system problem that
gnus is triggering. Are there any other programs that cause this
problem?

I think from the user's point of view what happens is "I run program x,
the system blue screens, therefore program x is the problem".

>From my point of view what happens is "I run program x, program x
calls device driver y to do something (write to the screen, access the
network ... whatever), device driver y has a problem and blue screens
the system, therefore device driver y is the problem".

Anyway it's not a problem with gnus and therefore not a problem for
this group.

Footnotes:
¹ HA! HA! funny joke I hear you say.
--