IMAP newbie, not getting any messages

From: bigfaceworm
Subject: IMAP newbie, not getting any messages
Date: 12 May 2004 12:01:09 -0700

All,

I've used fetchmail in the past to grab the mail from outlook.
However, I'd like to try the imap backend.

I'm using Gnus v5.10.6

I read the info pages, and made the following setup:

(add-to-list
 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
 '(nnimap "umap"
          (nnimap-address "server.name.com")  ; actual server replaced
          (nnimap-list-pattern ("INBOX"))))

Then I created a group

  G m outlook RET nnimap:umap RET

I was prompted for my password, the group was created, but I never
get any email.  My outlook session shows several new and unread
messages
(all in the Inbox).  I've tried a list pattern like "*" "Inbox" and
"INBOX*"
but nothing seems to help.

I don't see any error messages, just "Group nnimap+umap:outlook
contains no messages"

How can I debug this further?
I tried (setq nnimap-debug t), but I don't see any information in the
buffer
named  " *nnimap* outlook"

thanks for any help,

BFW