Re: error: w32-shell-execute is void

From: David Hanak
Subject: Re: error: w32-shell-execute is void
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 10:13:19 -0500

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004, David Fisher <fishboy@SPAMredSPAMpeanutSPAM.com wrote:

> I'm trying to click web links in gnus 5.9.0 and I get the message
>
> browse-url-default-windows-browser: Symbol's function definition is void:
> w32-shell-execute
>
> So I go to my .emacs and add
>
> (setq w32-shell-execute "explorer.exe")

w32-shell-execute should be built-in a function, not a variable:

,----[ C-h f w32-shell-execute RET ]
| w32-shell-execute is a built-in function.
| (w32-shell-execute OPERATION DOCUMENT &optional PARAMETERS SHOW-FLAG)
|
| Get Windows to perform OPERATION on DOCUMENT.
| This is a wrapper around the ShellExecute system function, which
| invokes the application registered to handle OPERATION for DOCUMENT.
| OPERATION is typically "open", "print" or "explore" (but can be
| nil for the default action), and DOCUMENT is typically the name of a
| document file or URL, but can also be a program executable to run or
| a directory to open in the Windows Explorer.
|
| If DOCUMENT is a program executable, PARAMETERS can be a string
| containing command line parameters, but otherwise should be nil.
|
| SHOW-FLAG can be used to control whether the invoked application is hidden
| or minimized.  If SHOW-FLAG is nil, the application is displayed normally,
| otherwise it is an integer representing a ShowWindow flag:
|
|   0 - start hidden
|   1 - start normally
|   3 - start maximized
|   6 - start minimized
`----

Are you using GNU/Emacs within Cygwin, or NT Emacs?  I use NT Emacs and
have no problem at all.

--
David Hanak - Research Engineer
Institute for Software Integrated Systems  |  http://www.isis.vanderbilt.edu