Re: Gnus-registry problems

From: Svend Tollak Munkejord
Subject: Re: Gnus-registry problems
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 10:37:17 +0200

On 2004-06-29, Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Jun 2004, stm+direct_reply@bacchus.pvv.org wrote:
>
>> 1. One test: I receive a message and move it to
>> nnmaildir:mail.foo. Followups with proper References headers will
>> be split to nnmaildir:mail.foo, too. This is olly good.

That should be "jolly good", that is; what I was trying to say, was
that this works well, and therefore that I'm happy with it.

> Set the gnus-verbose to 10 and see what the Messages buffer says.

Even if there's nothing wrong? Anyway, here you go (it got quite lengthy):

[Composing a message to myself, gcc-ing it to mail.foo and receiving
it]

Wrote /home/homet/sv/svendm/News/drafts/drafts/1
Sending...
Sending via mail...
Sending...done
Deleting article /home/homet/sv/svendm/News/drafts/drafts/1 in drafts...

keyboard-quit: Quit
Exiting summary buffer and applying spam rules
Registering 0  articles as spam using backend spam-use-stat
Marking spam as expired and moving it to (nnmaildir:boss)
Marking spam as expired without moving it
Registering 0  articles as ham using backend spam-use-stat
Reading active file from news.ntnu.no via nntp...
Reading active file via nnmaildir...
nnmaildir: Reading incoming mail from maildir...
Registry: article <fqg8ye5zcbu.fsf@ozelot.stud.ntnu.no> spooled to
nnmaildir:ma\il.misc
nnmaildir: Reading incoming mail (1 new)...done
Reading active file from archive via nnfolder...done
Checking new news...done

[The message wasn't split to mail.foo, so I moved it there]

Fetching headers for nnmaildir:mail.misc...done
Sorting threads...done
Generating summary...done
No more unread articles
No more articles
Moving to nnmaildir:mail.foo: (52)...
Registry: article <fqg8ye5zcbu.fsf@ozelot.stud.ntnu.no> going from
nnmaildir:ma\il.misc to nnmaildir:mail.foo
Exiting summary buffer and applying spam rules
Registering 0  articles as spam using backend spam-use-stat
Marking spam as expired and moving it to (nnmaildir:boss)
Marking spam as expired without moving it
Registering 0  articles as ham using backend spam-use-stat

[Composing a followup and receiving it. It is correctly split to mail.foo]

Retrieving newsgroup: nnmaildir:mail.foo...
Fetching headers for nnmaildir:mail.foo...done
Sorting threads...done
Generating summary...done
Registry: Registering article 10 with group nnmaildir:mail.foo
No more unread articles
End of message
Wrote /home/homet/sv/svendm/News/drafts/drafts/2
Sending...
Sending via mail...
Sending...done
Deleting article /home/homet/sv/svendm/News/drafts/drafts/2 in drafts...

Exiting summary buffer and applying spam rules
Registering 0  articles as spam using backend spam-use-stat
Marking spam as expired and moving it to (nnmaildir:boss)
Marking spam as expired without moving it
Registering 2  articles as ham using backend spam-use-stat
Reading active file from news.ntnu.no via nntp...
Reading active file via nnmaildir...
nnmaildir: Reading incoming mail from maildir...
gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent traced
<fqg8ye5zcbu.fsf@ozelot.stud.ntnu.\no> to group nnmaildir:mail.foo
gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent stripped group nnmaildir:mail.foo to
mail\.foo
Registry: article <fqg1xjxzc6i.fsf@ozelot.stud.ntnu.no> spooled to
nnmaildir:ma\il.foo
nnmaildir: Reading incoming mail (1 new)...done
Reading active file from archive via nnfolder...done
Checking new news...done

>> 2. Another test: I write a message with Gcc: nnmaildir:mail.foo.
>> and send it off. Followups to that message are not split to that
>> group (unless I make some specific splitting rule). Is it supposed
>> to work like this?
>
> Depends.  I don't know if Gcc will write the article with the
> correct message ID (but common sense says it should).  Again, see
> what the Messages buffer says.

There was nothing about Gcc there (see above).

> Maybe there's a place where I'm not calling the right hook.
>
>> 3. A third test: I write a followup to the message of item 1, but I
>> put in empty References headers, to simulate people who write to me
>> using broken software. This followup is not split to
>> nnmaildir:mail.foo. Why? Shouldn't the (setq
>> gnus-registry-track-extra (quote (subject))) take care of this? The
>> subject was "Plommegrøt", so it should be long enough for
>> gnus-registry to have something to split on, right?
>
> The registry keeps a lookup table of subjects related to message
> IDs.  You need to check if that subject is in the registry at all
> (grep your registry file, for instance)

Here I compose a followup to the message in mail.foo, but put in an
empty References header. This followup is split to mail.misc and not to
mail.foo:

Retrieving newsgroup: nnmaildir:mail.foo...
Fetching headers for nnmaildir:mail.foo...done
Sorting threads...done
Generating summary...done
No more unread articles
No more articles
Fetching headers for nnmaildir:mail.foo...done
Sorting threads...done
Generating summary...done
Wrote /home/homet/sv/svendm/News/drafts/drafts/3
Sending...
Sending via mail...
Sending...done
Deleting article /home/homet/sv/svendm/News/drafts/drafts/3 in drafts...

Exiting summary buffer and applying spam rules
Registering 0  articles as spam using backend spam-use-stat
Marking spam as expired and moving it to (nnmaildir:boss)
Marking spam as expired without moving it
Registering 1  articles as ham using backend spam-use-stat
Registry: article <fqgu0wtxxim.fsf@ozelot.stud.ntnu.no> spooled to
nnmaildir:ma\il.misc
nnmaildir: Reading incoming mail (1 new)...done
Reading active file from archive via nnfolder...done
Checking new news...done

This time I used "Ibsens ripsbusker" as subject:

ozelot:~$ grep -i "ibsens ripsbusker" .gnus.registry.eld
ozelot:~$

Nothing at all!
What if I restart Gnus? Ah, then there's something there:

ozelot:~$ grep -i "ibsens ripsbusker" .gnus.registry.eld
("<fqg8ye5zcbu.fsf@ozelot.stud.ntnu.no>" ((process (ham spam-use-stat
"nnmaildir:mail.foo")) (mtime 16610 30770 60011) (subject . "Ibsens
ripsbusker")) "nnmaildir:mail.foo" "nnmaildir:mail.misc")
ozelot:~$

> and then do
> t M-: (gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent) in the buffer of the
> article (`t' will show the whole article).  With gnus-verbose set to
> 10, I need to know what the Messages buffer says.

OK, I went to the Article buffer of the message with an empty
References header and did that. Here's what the Messages buffer said:

gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent (extra tracking) traced subject Ibsens
ri\psbusker to group nnmaildir:mail.foo
gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent: too many extra matches for nil
nil

> There are some reasons why the subject lookup will fail, chiefly
> that the same subject may be in various groups (but there are
> others, see the function gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent).  If
> there's more than one match for a subject, the lookup is considered
> a failure.  I thought about this, and it seems to be the best way to
> handle multiple groups.  I'm open to suggestions if you think
> otherwise.

No, I agree with you. But in this case the Subject was unique.

Another thing: Might it be an idea that the
gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent function consider the
In-Reply-To header if there is no References ?

Heres my nnmail-split-fancy in case it matters:
(setq nnmail-split-fancy
       '(|
         (: gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent)
; for the occasion        (: spam-split)
         "mail.misc"))

Regards,

--
Svend Tollak Munkejord