Re: Can't post to a foreign server

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: Can't post to a foreign server
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 11:59:16 +0200

Burkhard Perkens-Golomb <burkhard.perkens-golomb.NOSP@M.web.de> writes:

> C-u C-c C-c still tries to post via the primary server.

Weird.

> But C-0 C-c C-c asks for a posting method: I can say (with
> completion) "foreign.server (nntp)" but then I get
>
> ,----
> | Sending news via foreign.server using nntp...
> | 441 posting failed
> | Couldn't send message via news: 441 posting failed
> `----

This seems to be that Gnus sent the posting to foreign.server but
that server didn't like your posting.  I guess Gnus can't do anything
about that :-(

Can you find the " *server foo*" buffer corresponding to this server
to see what is sent to the server?  Note that the buffer name starts
with a space, and thus the buffer is not listed in most buffer
menus.  Use C-x b to switch to this buffer.

> The old thread I found at google suggests that Gnus understands
> "nntp+foreign.server:foreign.group" in the field "Newsgroup:". But I
> don't know enough lisp to see where the function "gnus-post-method" is
> called to look *how* it is called (there's a variable
> "gnus-post-method" too; that doesn't make live easier for a lisp
> novice).

Whee.  Understands.  Hm.  I think that perhaps Gnus should understand
that notation.  But currently, completion pretends that the notation
works, whereas in reality it doesn't.  This is my fault.

Kai