hot to do smtp authorization?

From: Al Arduengo
Subject: hot to do smtp authorization?
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 22:49:35 GMT

I read the info and created a .authinfo file with machine, user and
password for both my nntp server and smtp server.  NNTP posts fine
(obviously) but email will not work.  Can someone please show me how
to force smtp authorization when posting email?  I use sbcglobal.net.

My .authinfo file looks like:

machine news.foo.bar login mylogin  password mypassword
machine smtp.foo2.bar2 login mylogin password mypassword

Many thanks.
-Al