Re: To IMAP or not to IMAP

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: To IMAP or not to IMAP
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 08:45:12 +0200

jesse@phiwumbda.org (Jesse F. Hughes) writes:

> Of course, since I'm using unison, I *could* try to simply keep my
> nnml folders sync'ed too, but I just worry that this solution is too
> prone to problems.  Screwing up a mail folder doesn't sound too fun.

It works.  Just use the Agent and do like this when on the road:

* ssh to your desktop.  Invoke Gnus in plugged mode (with emacs -nw,
  perhaps, for speed).  Fetch mail.  Switch Gnus to unplugged mode.
  Exit Gnus.

* Sync everything with the laptop.

* Run Gnus in unplugged mode on laptop, do whatever you like.

* Sync everything with the desktop again.

* ssh to your desktop.  Invoke Gnus in plugged mode.  Send the queue.

The above lets you work with NNTP groups, as well: just tell the
Agent to fetch them.

The main reason for using the Agent is that, in unplugged mode, it
will queue outgoing mail.  The queue will be synced with everything
else, so that it works to send the queued messages from the desktop.

What do you need to sync?  In the default config, it's the files
~/.newsrc*, ~/.gnus-regist*, and the directories ~/News/ and ~/Mail/.

I used this setup for a while, except that I was using rsync instead
of unison for the syncing.

Kai