Re: 3rd posting: please help -- gnus almost unusable

From: Michael Slass
Subject: Re: 3rd posting: please help -- gnus almost unusable
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 15:36:03 -0700

Michael Slass <miknrene@drizzle.com> writes:

>Hi:
>
>My gnus is almost unusable: each time I try to fetch new news and mail
>(G in group buffer), gnus spends *forever* doing:
>  gnus-active-to-gnus-format((nntp "news.comcast.giganews.com") <long
>  list of groups here>
>
>The long list of groups contains almost entirely groups I don't ever
>read.  How can I purge the list, or what can I do to make this faster?
>
>I've already added:
>(setq gnus-read-active-file 'nil)
>to my .gnus in attempt to fix this, to no avail

EUREKA!  Somehow my active file got full of crap.  I deleted all lines
except those for the four newsgroups I'm interested in, and it fixed
the problem.

Any one have any guesses about
1) How my active file could have been populated with every group my
newsserver offers?

2) the right way to clean that up?

Thanks
--