Re: X: Change font-size only in summary-buffer.

From: Josef Oswald
Subject: Re: X: Change font-size only in summary-buffer.
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 21:26:05 GMT

peterg@despammed.com (Peter G.) writes:

> Hello. Semi-newbie here
>
> I've recently changed to Gnu/Linux (Gentoo) and have now been using Gnus
> as my mail and newsreader for a little month. I have read the manual and
> next-to-none experience in programming I'm a little lost when it comes
> to more specialized wishes involving Lisp.
>
> I have set up my Gnus to open the article buffer alongside the
> summary-buffer, splitting the horizontal. This makes for a bit of a
> clutter regarding line lengths.
>
> In my .Xdefaults I have specified a certain font for my Emacs, but
> I'd quite like the summary-buffer (only) to be displayed with a smaller
> font-size (and maube a different font).

Hope I can help :-)

I think M (Meta) x customize-face will help you here.

If you type M-x customize-face ( you can use TAB to complete) then the
question all ( default) will show, hit return and then you have a
customize buffer. For _everything_ you need to look for gnus-group-mail
and gnus-group-news Its about in the middle of the page...

If you have all your news and mail -groups on one level, this would make it
easier.

M-x customize-face
then type gnus-group-news-1 ( again TAB is your friend) then you have a
customize-buffer there you can set up all the things you
want. You can set it different  (especially for Mail) for empty (no new
Mail).

It will look just like this:

This is a customization buffer.
Type RET or click button2 on an active field to invoke its action.
Invoke [Help] for more information.

Operate on everything in this buffer:
 * * [Reset]  *

Gnus Group News 1 Face: (sample) *
   [State]: this face has been set and saved.
Level 1 newsgroup face.
Comment:
Attributes: * Foreground: yellow      (sample)
            * Background: brown       (sample)
            * Size:
            * Font Family:
            * Background pixmap:
            * Dim: off
            * Bold: on
            * Italic: off
            * Underline: off
            * Strikethru: off
            * Inverse Video: off

*Size of fonts you can try with 10pts 12pts and so on.

The Font Family you might look under: Options > Fonts as I don't know
what you got installed.

My summary buffer is rather colorful, since I use 6 different
color-schemes for Mail and News.....
But I have not changed many Font-Families...

> In short, how do I choose fonts for different buffers underX?
>
> And can I have different lines in my .gnus.el regarding window
> split-point, depending on whether Gnus is run under X or in -nw/console

dunno :-/

Josef Oswald also -> gnus@chello.at  :-)
--
Gnus gives you all the opportunity you could possibly want for
shooting yourself in the foot.