Re: two gnus sessions at one time

From: Uri Guttman
Subject: Re: two gnus sessions at one time
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 21:17:20 GMT

  AA> This afternoon, Uri Guttman wrote:
  >> can i run two separate gnus sessions (in diff emacs sessions of course)
  >> at the same time? this is so i could get mail remotely without having to
  >> kill my main emacs/gnus session. i could understand needing to save the
  >> gnus state between switching sessions when i do this. will gnus detect a
  >> modified .gnus (or other) files and ask to reload it? i don't want to
  >> experiment as if it fails it could corrupt stuff.

  AA> You couldn't use gnuclient?  That's how I check my mail remotely.

i do use emacsclient a fair amount and i enable its server with
server-start. i have a commented out gnuserv-start line as it doesn't
seem to be found. this is GNU Emacs 21.2.1. it seems to be an Xemacs
feature (i do find gnuclient and gnudoit installed as i tried out xemacs
a while back).

  AA> ,----[ C-h f gnuserv-start RET ]
  AA> | `gnuserv-start' is an interactive compiled Lisp function
  AA> |   -- loaded from "gnuserv"
  AA> | (gnuserv-start &optional LEAVE-DEAD)
  AA> |
  AA> | Documentation:
  AA> | Allow this Emacs process to be a server for client processes.
  AA> | This starts a gnuserv communications subprocess through which
  AA> | client "editors" (gnuclient and gnudoit) can send editing commands to
  AA> | this Emacs job.  See the gnuserv(1) manual page for more details.

that would be ideal if i could get gnuserv to work in gnu emacs. where
is the lisp library for it?

uri

--
Uri Guttman  ------  uri@stemsystems.com  -------- http://www.stemsystems.com