Re: Gnus crawls when reading the active file for nntp

From: Tim Lavoie
Subject: Re: Gnus crawls when reading the active file for nntp
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 10:25:29 -0500

    Charles> On 7 Sep 2004, kitty@dre.vanderbilt.edu wrote:
    >> For example, I read about 2 or 3 newsgroups, but I have about
    >> 50 or so mail groups. So I am more or less using Gnus as a
    >> mailreader. So I really don't need Gnus to check for news
    >> everytime I want to check for new mail, which is quite often.

    Charles> (1) Seperate your mail and your news into 2 topics, (2)
    Charles> Put the cursor on the mail topic and hit M-g to get the
    Charles> mail. Alternatively, you can setup something like
    Charles> leafnode to fetch your news periodically.

I'm not the original poster, but I've noticed the same delays myself
lately. The odd bit is that it isn't really fetching much when it does
check the newsgroups. I too have the gnus-read-active-file set to
'some, and there is really only a handful of packets exchanged. The
rest of the time is Gnus thrashing my CPU.

I did just set up leafnode, and everything is quick again, but it
shouldn't matter if the old traffic meant much. My .newsrc file is
reset as well, so could it be related to the amount of information
there?

        Cheers,
        Tim