Re: huge unread article count for some groups

From: Xavier Maillard
Subject: Re: huge unread article count for some groups
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 12:32:45 +0100

On  1 nov 2004, Anupam Kapoor wrote:

> hi all,

Yo,

> i am using gnus 10.5.6 for mail/news, this currently runs on
> emacs (21.3.5.2). the problem that i have is that for some of
> the groups, i have insanely large unread article count.
>
> here is a quick summary from the group buffer:
>
> 5929097: nnml:trouble-tickets
> 2010701: nnml:sent-mail
>
> if i look into the '.marks' file, e.g. for sent-mail, it shows:
>
> -rw-r--r--  1 anupam users 8140706 Nov  1 11:29 .marks which.
>
> similarly, for trouble-tickets, i have:
>
> -rw-r--r--  1 anupam users 47523240 Oct 28 13:09 .marks
>
> i don't really know why this should be so ? also, i tried 'G E'
> to edit the corresponding group info, but it does not seem to
> help.

Depends on what you do in the 'G E' buffer ;) You could change
the seen part to update it.

> can you please provide me some ideas on how to go about solving
> this issue ?

Simple question, do you use the agent ? (C-h v gnus-agent) If so,
go to the agent directory and check what is the highest article
number in that directory.

Otherwise, the only solution I know is simply to catch-up the
corresponding group.
--
"sometimes i feel like we're making emacs better and better because we don't
 know what to do with emacs once it is finished."

    -- AlexSchroeder on #emacs @OPN