Re: Why can't I set organization?

From: Katsumi Yamaoka
Subject: Re: Why can't I set organization?
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2004 07:46:29 +0900

>> (setq gnus-posting-styles '((".*" (organization "Istanbul Bilgi
>> University"))))

>> Isn't the Organization header inserted by this?

> Strange, it is inserted!

That your Gnus is normal was proved. :)

[...]

> I couldn't find any errors. Funny thing is that I've really cut down
> the conf file to the most basic. I made it:

> ~/.gnus:
> (setq gnus-posting-styles '((".*" (organization "Istanbul Bilgi
> University"))))

> And what happens? It looks like my gnus system simply
> doesn't take it into account, because it simply
> doesn't print the organization header this way, and C-h v gnus-posting-styles
> seems to be nil, however if I copy and paste the above code
> to the *scratch* buffer and run it (as you advised) it works!

Probably, your ~/.gnus file is not read.  The "Startup Files"
section of the Gnus Info manual mentions as follows:

  Gnus will also check for files with the same names as these, but with
  `.elc' and `.el' suffixes.  In other words, if you have set
  `gnus-init-file' to `~/.gnus', it will look for `~/.gnus.elc',
  `~/.gnus.el', and finally `~/.gnus' (in this order).

That is, ~/.gnus suggests being ignored, if there's ~/.gnus.elc
or ~/.gnus.el.  How about that?