Seeing unsubscribed groups with nnimap

From: address expires 27 Dec 2004
Date: 27 Nov 2004 13:30:59 -0500

I'm using nnimap with the Dovecot imap server.  I'm running gnus
version 5.9.0 (the version that comes with GNU emacs 21.3).

Mostly things are working well, but I can't figure out how to see a
list of new groups/folders that are unsubscribed.  My email setup
periodically creates new folders on-the-fly during the delivery
process, and I need a way to see these new folders and subscribe them.
I tried putting:

(setq gnus-subscribe-newsgroup-method 'gnus-subscribe-hierarchically)

in my .gnus, but this doesn't seem to have an effect on the nnimap
back end.  Nor do the "A k" or "A z" commands show my new groups, as
they would for nntp.

Fortunately, I *can* see all the folders if I type "A A"
(gnus-group-list-active).  This is nearly satisfactory.  The problem
is that the "A A" view doesn't show me what newsgroups I have already
subscribed to.  So I can hold down the "u" key to toggle
subscription/unsubscription to all groups.  This then shows me what
I'm subscribed to and what I'm not, but only after flipping
everything.  So then I have to flip everything back except the groups
I want to subscribe to.

Given the gnus philosophy, I'm thinking there has to be a more
convenient way of doing this!  Can anyone give me suggestions?

For what it's worth, the relevant portions of my .gnus file look
basically like this:

(setq dovecot (concat "exec env MAIL=maildir:/my/home/dir/Mail/"
                      " /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap"))
(setq my-server
      `(nnimap "MY-SERVER"
               (imap-shell-program
                (,(concat "cd && test -d Mail/INBOX && " dovecot)
                 ,(concat "ssh -ax -o\"BatchMode yes\" MY-SERVER.EDU "
                          dovecot)
                 ))
               (nnimap-stream shell)
               ))
(setq gnus-select-method my-server)
(setq gnus-message-archive-method my-server)

Thanks for any help,

David