Re: Limiting the summary buffer by recipient

From: address expires 29 Jan 2005
Subject: Re: Limiting the summary buffer by recipient
Date: 30 Nov 2004 18:57:42 -0500

Reiner Steib <reinersteib+from-uce@imap.cc> writes:

> On Tue, Nov 30 2004, David Mazieres wrote:
>
> > However, the one thing that seems to be missing is restricting the
> > summary buffer by recipient.  [...]
> > (setq gnus-extra-headers '(To Cc))
> > (setq nnmail-extra-headers '(To Cc))
> >
> > and tried to use "/x", but it doesn't seem to work.
>
> `/ x To RET' works for me in Gnus 5.10.  Did you regenerate the
> overview files as described in (info "(gnus)To From Newsgroups")?

Well, I'm running the GNUS that comes with emacs 21.3, so that could
be a difference.

I definitely saw that in the manual, but that info page didn't say how
to regenerate the NOV files, just that I should do it.  I tried going
to the server buffer and saying pressing "g"
(gnus-server-regenerate-server), but it says:

   gnus-server-regenerate-server: This backend doesn't support
   regeneration

I also tried running M-x nnml-generate-nov-databases, but that gave me
the error:

   nnml-generate-nov-databases-1: Symbol's value as variable is void:
   nnml-generate-active-function

M-X gnus-cache-generate-nov-databases fails too, complaining I don't
have a cache directory (I'm not using caching on this particular
client).  Is there some way to re-generate the databases with the
nnimap back end?

For what it's worth, gnus does seem to be creating novcache files in
directories like .../overview/nnimap/servername/mailbox/....  Should I
just delete those files and hope gnus can re-create them properly?

If there's some way to fix this, I would be very happy.  (Though of
course the next question is whether you can limit to two headers at a
time... i.e., restrict to any article that contains an email address
in either the To or CC headers.  Too bad gnus-extra-headers takes
atoms rather than regular expressions, but I assume this is required
for efficiency.)

Thanks a lot for your help,

David