trouble with smtpmail

From: m. kolb
Subject: trouble with smtpmail
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 15:03:21 -0500

This may fit better somewhere else, but I'm just beginning to use gnus
for mail (I have been using for news for a few months).  Reading mail
works fine, but I am having trouble sending mail.  I am using
smtpmail.el and I need it to STARTTLS before it tries to AUTH.

It seems to want to AUTH first.  Here is my simple configuration based
on Josefsson's web instructions:

(setq smtpmail-auth-credentials
      '(("actual.smtp.server" 25 "muk" nil)))
(setq smtpmail-starttls-credentials
      '(("actual.smtp.server" 25 nil nil)))

The trace info shows an EHLO followed by AUTH LOGIN
(I'd like it to do EHLO -> STARTTLS -> AUTH LOGIN)

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

./matt

--