Re: nnimap and gcc field

From: Nicolas Kowalski
Subject: Re: nnimap and gcc field
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 22:35:49 +0100

> Nicolas Kowalski <Nicolas.Kowalski@imag.fr> writes:
>
>> Hello.
>>
>> I am running gnus 5.10.6 on GNU Emacs, with the nnimap backend. The
>> IMAP server is Courier-IMAP. When I send a message, I set the "Gcc"
>> field to "nnimap:INBOX.Sent".
>>
>> I have noticed that as my folder grows, storing the outgoing message
>> to this INBOX.Sent folder becomes slower and slower. I set the
>> imap-log variable to 't' and saw that nnimap reset the \Seen flags on
>> all messages in this mailbox:
>>
>> 1910 SELECT "INBOX.Sent"
>> * FLAGS (\Draft \Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Recent)
>> * OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\* \Draft \Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen)] Limited
>> * 3994 EXISTS
>> * 0 RECENT
>> * OK [UIDVALIDITY 1101882667] Ok
>> * OK [MYRIGHTS "acdilrsw"] ACL
>> 1910 OK [READ-WRITE] Ok
>> 1911 UID SEARCH UNSEEN UNDELETED
>> * SEARCH 3996
>> 1911 OK SEARCH done.
>> 1912 UID SEARCH SEEN
>> * SEARCH 1 2 3 4 [...sniped...] 3993
>> 1912 OK SEARCH done.
>> 1913 UID SEARCH FLAGGED
>> * SEARCH
>> 1913 OK SEARCH done.
>> 1914 UID SEARCH ANSWERED
>> * SEARCH
>> 1914 OK SEARCH done.
>> 1915 UID SEARCH RECENT
>> * SEARCH
>> 1915 OK SEARCH done.
>> 1916 FETCH 1,* UID
>> * 1 FETCH (UID 1)
>> * 3994 FETCH (UID 3996)
>> 1916 OK FETCH completed.
>> 1917 UID STORE 1:3996 +FLAGS (\Seen)
>> * 1 FETCH (UID 1 FLAGS (\Seen))
>> * 2 FETCH (UID 2 FLAGS (\Seen))
>> * 3 FETCH (UID 3 FLAGS (\Seen))
>> * 4 FETCH (UID 4 FLAGS (\Seen))
>>
>> [...sniped...]
>>
>> * 3994 FETCH (UID 3996 FLAGS (\Seen))
>> 1917 OK STORE completed.
>>

>> Shouldn't nnimap store the \Seen flag only on the newly appended
>> message ?
>
> Yes, it should.  Is your nnimap:INBOX.Sent mailbox subscribed in the
> Group buffer?  Do you have a log of when you Gcc a message to the
> group?  It looks like the above log might been from when entering the
> group?

Yes, I am subscribed to the INBOX.Sent group.

The above log is exactly what I get when I send a message with the Gcc
field set to INBOX.Sent; I have cleared the *imap-log* buffer just
before composing a new mail.  When the mail was sent, I immediatly
switched to this log buffer, which then contained ~8000 lines of IMAP
dialog (I have ~4000 mail in the INBOX.Sent group).

Thanks.

--
Nicolas