one server at a time

From: Hallvard B Furuseth
Subject: one server at a time
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 06:34:43 +0100

I read news/imap mail from 5 different servers (so far).  Is it possible
to give a command which reads one user-specified server without opening
the other servers?  Some of the servers are quite unstable, so I can't
just sit and wait for them all every time I read mail or news.

The two ways I've found are not very satisfactory:

- Use topics in the group buffer.  Put a server in gnus-server-alist in
  .gnus.elc, and groups from this server in a separate topic which is
  read with M-g (gnus-topic-get-new-news-this-topic) and is not read by
  'g' (gnus-group-get-new-news).

  The problem with this is that I can't find a way make Gnus check for
  new groups at that server.

- Use a separate .gnus.el for each server, started in a separate emacs
  session.

--
Hallvard