Re: How to access email using gnus?

From: Surendra Singhi
Subject: Re: How to access email using gnus?
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 17:12:02 -0700

Tim McNamara wrote:
Surendra Singhi <efuzzyone@netscape.net> writes:

I have gone through that document, and the manual as well, but I am
still not able to figure out how to configure gnus.

As I mentioned in my first email I am able to use the newsreader, but
not get emails.
I have put the following line in my init file(it is a pop3 server and
not imap) and as well set it trhough the customization option in
xemacs.

(setq mail-sources '((pop :server "imap1.asu.edu"
                               :user "sksinghi"
                               )))
But gnus still doesn't shows me anything.

OK, setting up mail is similar to setting up newsgroups.  Gnus treats
mail in basically the same way as NNTP postings.  Here's what's in my
.gnus file, obfuscated and you'll have to plug in your own values:

(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnml ""))
(eval-after-load "mail-source"
 '(add-to-list 'mail-sources '(pop :server "pop.myisp.com"
                                   :user "myusername"
                                   :password "mypassword")))
(require 'smtpmail)
(setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.myisp.com")
(setq smtpmail-auth-credentials
      '(("smtp.myisp.com" 25 "myloginname" "mypassword")))

Also, you want to set your email address for the FROM: header, etc:

(setq user-full-name "Your name")
(setq user-mail-address "youremailaddress")

Thanks.
It helped me.
In particular I was missing the
(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnml ""))
line.
Also one needs to include
(require 'gnus)

otherewise xemacs may throw an error.

I still have few questions.
How to prevent gnus from deleting the messages after downloading them from the server?
And how to make sure that it retrieves old read messages too?

And one final question, is it possible to use hotmail using gnus? Or does one needs Outlook Express to do that?

Thanks once again.

--
Surendra Singhi

www.public.asu.edu/~sksinghi/