Re: Display umlats instead of rectangle

From: Heike C. Zimmerer
Subject: Re: Display umlats instead of rectangle
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 12:05:01 +0100

Mahesh Padmanabhan <mahesh@privacy.net> writes:

> I am using GNUS to read net news and I ran into this problem that
> GNU/Emacs shows umlats (or any other non-ascii character) as
> rectangles.

If you were on a Linux system, I'd say that your umlauts come through
but your current screen font doesn't support them.  That's generally
what happens here if my system shows those rectangles.  Don't know if
this applies to OS X, however.  Maybe it helps to do a C-x = on those
characters to see what emacs thinks it is displaying.

-Heike