Re: SMTP-AUTH and STARTTLS

From: Charles Collicutt
Subject: Re: SMTP-AUTH and STARTTLS
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 13:35:01 +0000

"Emily Jackson" <m5comp@fastmail.fm.munged> writes:
> To use TLS you need to have either the starttls command-line tool
> (available from <ftp://ftp.opaopa.org/pub/elisp/starttls-0.9.tar.gz>) or
> gnutls (can be installed via fink [if you use fink]) installed. I have
> the former installed and TLS works for me (at least it did the last time

I have GnuTLS installed and I just installed starttls-0.9 as well for
good measure. Still no joy though.

I just tried switching to a different SMTP server and found that Gnus
did not try to authenticate at all. My normal SMTP server is the same
server that I retrieve my mail from so it has an entry in my .authinfo
file, evidently Gnus was only authenticating because of that.

smtpmail-auth-credentials and smtpmail-starttls-credentials both seem to
be completely ignored. I checked smtpmail.el and I do have a version
that claims to use those variables (as I'd expect, since they are
documented in the Info file.)

Thank you very much for your help but I still can't work out what is
going wrong. Oh well.

--
Charles Collicutt