Re: displaying initial words in a summary line (like gmail)

From: jason haslup
Subject: Re: displaying initial words in a summary line (like gmail)
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 11:23:37 -0700

James Leifer <James.Leifer@inria.fr> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I was reading the doc for gnus-summary-line-format, but couldn't find
> an answer to my question.
>
> When visually scanning the summary buffer I would find it useful to
> see the first couple of words of each message.  Those who use Google
> gmail might have noticed that this makes it far faster to identify to
> the missed spams in the inbox and the missed hams in the spambox.
>
> Any ideas?

I think you need to somehow get that info into the .overview file (if
you're using nnml).

I do this with procmail and a perl script which adds an 'X-Blurb'
header to all my incoming mail.  Then add X-Blurb to gnus' interesting
headers variables so that it's included in the .overview file (i'm
using nnml).

I'm sure there's a hook that I could have used, now that I think about
it more.  It might be nicer if gnus actually added the header or entry
in the .overview file.  My perl script ignores mime messages since it
doesn't decode it, gnus might actually be able to extract the first
line from inside those messages.

jason