Re: Files > 1GB

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: Files > 1GB
Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 23:23:39 +0200

On Tue, May 03 2005, Philip Clark wrote:

> I use Gnus a lot for my email, but I just reached the 1GB limit on my
> sent-mail folder.

Use a "one file per message" for your archive (e.g. nnml).

> Is there any easy way to get emacs/gnus to be able to read a 1GB
> file.

The maximum buffer size is limited by the maximum lisp integer which
depends on Emacs flavor, version and architecture (i586 vs. x86_64).
Searching in Google for "most-positive-fixnum" should give you some
values.

> Or does anyone have any software that can parse a gnus file and
> strip out attachments?

For the future:

,----[ (info "(gnus)Archived Messages") ]
| `gnus-gcc-externalize-attachments'
|      If `nil', attach files as normal parts in Gcc copies; if a regexp
|      and matches the Gcc group name, attach files as external parts; if
|      it is `all', attach local files as external parts; if it is other
|      non-`nil', the behavior is the same as `all', but it may be
|      changed in the future.
`----

For old mail:

,----[ (info "(gnus)Using MIME") ]
| `C-o (Article)'
|      Prompt for a file name, then save the MIME object and strip it from
|      the article.[...]  The stripped MIME object will be referred via the
|      message/external-body MIME type.
|      (`gnus-mime-save-part-and-strip').
`----

Bye, Reiner.