Re: Setting UTF-7 for usenet posts

From: Andrzej Adam Filip
Subject: Re: Setting UTF-7 for usenet posts
Date: 11 Jul 2005 18:09:35 +0200

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk <qrczak@knm.org.pl> writes:

> Andrzej Adam Filip <anfi@priv.onet.pl> writes:
> > I am under impression than UTF-7 is better suited for usenet posts than
> > UTF-8. What is your opinion?
>
> It's worse because it's
> [1] much less widely implemented than UTF-8

Which specific news readers support UTF-8 but no UTF-7?

> [2] less readable when the reader doesn't know it.

?! I disagree.

UTF-7 uses only prinatable characters.
When I have used UTF-8 for usenet postings sometimes I have got replies
with "botched" encoding e.g. when news readers assumes some encoding and
ignores MIME headers.

--
Andrzej [en:Andrew] Adam Filip anfi@priv.onet.pl anfi@xl.wp.pl
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing