Re: Changing charset for posting news

From: David Sumbler
Subject: Re: Changing charset for posting news
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 22:12:49 +0100

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Mon, 11 Jul 2005, david@nospam.co.uk wrote:
>
>> Although it has not caused a problem until recently, my use of UTF-8
>> and "quoted printable" has caused problems in a newsgroup which I
>> recently started using.  Basically, I have been told in no uncertain
>> terms to avoid them.
>>
>> However, I am unclear how to change this, although I have read section
>> 3.19 of the Gnus Manual.
>>
>> How do I ensure that, when posting news, my messages are sent in
>> ISO-8859-1, and avoid "quoted printable"?
>
> You can test this on a private group - no need to send test messages
> to the 'troubled' newsgroup (UTF-8 is here to stay :)
>
> Hit `G c' on the group that you want to customize.  Set the preferred
> charset to iso-8859-1.  Save.  That should do it.  The Gnus manual
> should have more information on this - I don't use it myself, so the
> manual is the authoritative source.

Strange: I have tried this, having commented out in .gnus the lines
suggested by Aidan, and it doesn't work!  Despite having specified
iso-8859-1, as you suggest, messages I send to the fr.test group still
are sent as UTF-8 and quoted printable.

David

--

David Sumbler

Please reply with a followup to the newsgroup.

However, if you _really_ want to send me an e-mail,
replace "nospam" in my address with "aeolia".