Re: Cannot display Chinese characters

From: Steven Woody
Subject: Re: Cannot display Chinese characters
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 14:01:09 +0800

Xiao-Yong Jin <xj2106@columbia.edu> writes:

> Steven Woody <anti-spam.narkewoody@gmail.com.dont-post-to> writes:
>
>> the MIME message seems normal, i do not know why it was not correct
>> interpreted
>> on your system.  for your information, i paste my locale, which is a little
>> different with yours,
>>
>> LANG=zh_CN.gbk
>> LC_CTYPE=zh_CN.gbk
>> LC_NUMERIC=zh_CN.gbk
>> LC_TIME=en_US
>> LC_COLLATE=C
>> LC_MONETARY=en_US
>> LC_MESSAGES=en_US
>> LC_PAPER=zh_CN.gbk
>> LC_NAME=zh_CN.gbk
>> LC_ADDRESS=zh_CN.gbk
>> LC_TELEPHONE=zh_CN.gbk
>> LC_MEASUREMENT=zh_CN.gbk
>> LC_IDENTIFICATION=zh_CN.gbk
>> LC_ALL=
>>

>> wha't is your lang environment settings?
>>
>> -
>> narke
>
> I don't really think locale is the point.  My settings is
> export LANG=en_US
> export LC_CTYPE=zh_CN.UTF-8
>
> Well, I start to think whether it is a problem of MIME interpretation
> for text/html.  After I install w3m and emacs-w3m cvs version as
> someone suggested, it can be displayed normally.  What's happened?

if you come to your another mail account and send a plain text Chinese message
back to yourself, i believe, it must can be display normally even without w3m.

the mail in trouble must be composed in html. the default render for emacs is
link or lynx, they do not recognize Chinese. that's the reason.

-
narke