Re: nnml directory customization

From: David Z Maze
Subject: Re: nnml directory customization
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 17:15:19 -0400

romeomedina@libero.it writes:

> Instead, if I first put the following line:
>
> (setq my-nnml-directory "/path/to/my/nnml/directory")
>
> and then:
>
> (setq gnus-select-method
>       '(nnml ""
>       (nnml-directory my-nnml-directory)))
>
> , when starting gnus I get the following error message:
>
> nnml () open error: ''.  Continue? (y or n)

If you 'C-h v gnus-select-method' having set it, you'll find that the
value of nnml-directory is the symbol my-nnml-directory rather than
its value.  Getting this to work requires navigating Lisp quoting,
which can be exciting; perhaps the most straightforward thing is

(setq gnus-select-method
      `(nnml ""
        (nnml-directory ,my-nnml-directory)))

(note the backquote and comma).  Unless you have a specific need, it's
probably cleaner to include the "~/Mail" directly in
gnus-select-method.

Note that you can also use this approach to do more complicated
things, if you like writing Lisp.  My .gnus file defines split rules
partially from BBDB information, approximately

(defun dzm-bbdb-split-fancy () ...)
(setq nnmail-split-fancy
      `(|
        (: spam-split)
        (any mail "mail.misc.admin")
        ,(dzm-bbdb-split-fancy)
        (any "dmaze@.*mit\\.edu" "mail.misc.personal")
        "mail.misc.impersonal"))

so that the results of the function call are dropped into the
splitting rules.

  --dzm