Re: problems reading IMAP mail

From: David Nash
Subject: Re: problems reading IMAP mail
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 11:45:29 +1000

Thanks for both response so far

Matthias Buelow:
Why don't you use fetchmail?
I gather this comes with emacs v22 (and not in v21)?

As I said
I am using emacs over ssh so I don't control what software is on the host
As the current stable release of emacs is 21.4 (true?), and the site doesn't like to instal beta software, I'm looking for a solution with Gnus v5.9.0 and Emacs 21.4.1. OK, maybe I have to try convincing the admin of the university machine to install Gnus 5.10....

Reiner Steib:
How did you subscribe to the IMAP group?
gnus-secondary-select-methods?

Yes, like this in my .gnus file:

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
        '(
         ;; IMAP server
         (nnimap "IMAP" (nnimap-address "<mailhost>")
                        (nnimap-user "<username>")))
         (nnimap-need-unselect-to-notice-new-mail t))

 It shouldn't not be an ephemeral group.
That's what I expected, that it should be solid. Maybe I have done (or not done) something simple, in my ignorance.

David