nnimap from gnus-cvs busted: Symbol's function definition is void: netrc

From: Jesse Alama
Subject: nnimap from gnus-cvs busted: Symbol's function definition is void: netrc-machine-user-or-password
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 23:00:03 -0700

When gnus tries to open a connection to my IMAP server, I am told that
the server cannot be opened.  Here's what *Messages* contains after
the error:

  Parsing authinfo file `~/.authinfo'.
  Unable to open server due to: Symbol's function definition is void:
netrc-machine-user-or-password

The call to `nnimap-open-connection' dies because
`netrc-machine-user-or-password' apparentlt isn't defined.  The
function `netrc-machine-user-or-password' is defined in netrc.el If I
quit gnus, byte-compile and load the file netrc.el, and restart gnus,
I don't come across the error and am able to connect to my IMAP server
just fine.

gnus-util.el `requires' `netrc and provides 'gnus-util, nnmail.el
`requires' 'gnus-util and `provides' 'nnmail, and nnimap.el `requires'
'nnmail.  Thus I'm stumped about why when `nnimap-open-connection' is
evaluated `netrc-machine-user-or-password' has no value.  What might
be happening?

I'm running a September 26 version of Emacs CVS and an October 7
version of CVS gnus.

Jesse

--
Jesse Alama (alama@stanford.edu)