Re: Toolbars visible, even when turned off?!

From: Steve Youngs
Subject: Re: Toolbars visible, even when turned off?!
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 01:40:01 GMT

* Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

  >> A day or two ago, something odd started happening when I run
  >> Gnus/XEmacs. I've turned off toolbars in the menu
  >> "Options/Display/Toolbars visible" - but in Gnus they are displayed
  >> anyway.

  > That's my act.  Gnus now fully controls the visibility of
  > toolbars in the group buffer, the summary buffer, and the
  > message buffer.

[...]

  > `gnus-use-toolbar'
  >      This variable specifies the position to display the toolbar.  If
  >      `nil', don't display toolbars.  If it is non-nil, it should be one
  >      of the symbols `default', `top', `bottom', `right', and `left'.
  >      `default' means to use the default toolbar, the rest mean to
  >      display the toolbar on the place which those names show.  The
  >      default is `default'.

IMO, this is bad.  Gnus should get the default settings for these
variables from (S)XEmacs, instead of overriding the user's global
settings.

,----
| (if toolbar-visible-p
|     (default-toolbar-position)
|   nil)
`----

Would probably do it.  Although I'm not sure what would or should
happen if the user wanted to display multiple toolbars.[1]

Footnotes:
[1]  (S)XEmacs can display up to 4 separate toolbars in a single frame
     (one along each edge) at the same time.

--
|---<Steve Youngs>---------------<GnuPG KeyID: A94B3003>---|
|                   Te audire no possum.                   |