Re: verizon and smtp authorization have me stumped

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: verizon and smtp authorization have me stumped
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 09:10:22 -0600

Steve <joxer2000@verizon.net> writes:

> Joe Fineman wrote:
>> Steve <joxer2000@verizon.net> writes:
>>
>>> I've spent 3 days googling, info-ing and pulling my hair out, but
>>> I just can't seem to get smptmail to authenticate with verizon.
>>
>> A friend of mine, a Real Programmer, went thru this for me.  I
>> don't understand it, but here, FWIW, is the resulting section of my
>> .emacs file:

<snip>

> The only part that looks significantly different from my setup is
> the inclusion of a password string in the credentials.  I have mine
> set to nil.  So I tried putting my password in the credentials
> instead of nil, and it worked.  Seems like smtpmail is getting
> confused when that fourth argument is nil instead of a string.  I
> don't really like having my smtp password in my .emacs file though.
> Maybe I can figure out where smtpmail is dropping the ball on this.

That looks pretty much just like mine, albeit I use a different ISP
that also requires SMTP authorization.  The only difference between
entering your credentials into Emacs/Gnus versus most other mail
programs is that you write the file directly rather than indirectly,
so you can actually see it.  That doesn't necessarily make it any less
secure.