Re: Showing Complete Active Threads

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Showing Complete Active Threads
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 20:43:41 +0100

Rolleston <Nemo@nullsome.net> writes:

> Somewhat suboptimal, I'd say, as it seems to often try to receive
> every available header.

Sorry, I cannot follow you here. What do you mean with that it often
tries to receive every available header?

> I instruct gnus to fetch old headers:
>
>   M-: (setq gnus-fetch-old-headers 1000)
>
> [snip]
>
> So far so good :) Now I check for new messages (perhaps not necessaray
> to do that) and hit <RET> to reenter the summar buffer. And this is
> what I see:
>
>     08 Mar 08:38 Re: Showing Complete Active Threads Tassilo Horn

Hm, ok. Here I would expect the parent (your opening question), too.

> Oh... it's a loose thread. What happens if I type A R? Let's see now:
>
>   R 08 Mar 06:07 Showing Complete Active Threads Rolleston
>     08 Mar 08:38 \->  Tassilo Horn
>
> And there it is, the whole thread. Hmm.. Ok. Let's try your suggestion
> (without the quote):
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sure. ;-)

>   M-u
>   M-: (setq gnus-fetch-old-headers t)
>
> We leap out of the summary buffer, and dive back in again:
>
>   O 08 Mar 06:07 Showing Complete Active Threads Rolleston
>     08 Mar 08:38 \->  Tassilo Horn
>
> Hmmph! What's going on here?

Isn't that the behaviour you were looking for?

BTW: I use

     (setq gnus-fetch-old-headers 'some)

which fetches only those old headers needed to prevent loose threads
(all old headers till a common parent article is found). That's more
concise and expresses this thread's structure as well.

Regards,
Tassilo