Re: gnus got lazy all of a sudden.

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: gnus got lazy all of a sudden.
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 17:00:31 +1000

Fredrik Bulow <kaliumfredrik@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi!
>
> I've been using GNUS for about two weeks to read my mail, new and
> favourite RSS feeds.
>
> When I start GNUS, it used to check for new mail, news and RSS and
> display the number of new messages next to the group. One day it
> ceased to do this for news, it still fetches mail and rss like it
> should, but if I want to check for new news I must go to the
> group. Instead of seeing the number of new messages next to news
> groups, I see an '*'. After visiting and exiting the group this as
> been replaced by the number for new messages.
>
> The 'g' key in the *Groups* buffer also ignores news but gets rss and
> mail.
>
> Here is my current .gnus file.

I've noticed the same behavior after my ISP changed their news server.
I've found only two solutions to date - I also posted to this group,
but didn't get any response.

solution 1. If I subscribe to my ISP news servers groups as if they
were foreign groups, everything works fine. When I start gnus or hit
g, gnus checks for new articles and displays the number in the groups
listing buffer. Likewise, if I define a secondary select method, I can
subscribe to the groups and they show up as foreign groups and all
works fine.

solution 2. If I use l to list all groups and then use M-g when on a
native group, it will tell me how many available messages are there.

I have varified my group levels are all OK (everything is pretty much
at defaults). This problem didn't occur until after my ISP switched to
a new news server and now takes a full feed from somewhere like
supernova or supergroups or something similar in the states. After
they changed news servers, I totally reconfigured things and made sure
I had removed old article number caches etc, just in case new article
numbers caused problems etc.

I also found that when setting up the system again, the new group
listings and subscription methods outlined in the manual didn't work
as advertised.

I wonder if TPG has changed their news server or done something
similar?

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au