Re: BBDB - address alias

From: Oliver Jennrich
Subject: Re: BBDB - address alias
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 00:30:50 +0200

> On Thu, May 04 2006, Oliver Jennrich wrote:
>
>> is there a way to teach BBDB address aliases? Suppose you want to
>> store the contact details of A. Smith, B. Jones and C. Miller, all of
>> them are with ACME Inc. Obviously, you don't want to enter their
>> office addresses more than once but have just one entry for ACME
>> Inc. and then just an alias for ACME in the Smith, Jones and Miller
>> records.
>>
>> Does anyone know how to achieve that?
>
> Add a mail-alias field "ACME" to those people in your BBDB:

Yes, I know. I didn't make myself clear. I was thinking about the
postal address of ACME Inc.

> ,----[ (info "(bbdb)Mail Sending Interfaces") ]
> |    For convenience there is the function `bbdb-add-or-remove-mail-alias'
> | bound to `a' which adds an alias to one or multiple records when
> | prefixed by a `*'.  Called with a prefix argument `C-u' it will remove
> | the given alias.
> |
> |    If more than one person has the same mail-alias, then that alias
> | expands to the addresses of all of those people; in this way you can
> | maintain mailing lists within the BBDB.

Yes, I'm doing that. But what I want is an almost opposite
feature. Defining an 'alias' for common information, such as the
company's address, the phone-number of the switchboard etc., so that I
don't have to type them over and over again and can maintain them at
*one* place.

Yes, I'm using bbdb for wirting the occasional snail mail letter...

--
Space - The final frontier