Re: using gnus for mail

From: Hadron Quark
Subject: Re: using gnus for mail
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 06:52:16 +0200

xyblor <xyblor@gmail.com> writes:

> Hadron Quark <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:
>> Firstly, is anyone successfully connecting and reading from
>> pop.gmail.com?
>
> I'm working on this myself now, with no success yet, but I do know
> that have to connect with SSL on port 995. And of course you need to
> enable pop access in the Gmail options. There was an extensive thread
> about gnus and gmail a while ago:

I gave up on getting gnus to get the mail itself : I tried various
incantations and examples I googled up - all that little bit
different. In the end I reverted to an old mutt/fetchmail/procmail
config I had lying around and then configured gnus to recognise a
maildir format as created by procmail.

> http://groups.google.ca/group/gnu.emacs.gnus/browse_thread/thread/354ae098fe8476ac/fe90849e1de6b294%23fe90849e1de6b294
>
> which mentions a website about this:
>
> http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~terjeros/wiki/GnusGmail
>
> I suspect this website is obsolete in that as you don't need to get
> CVS versions of everything now: pop3, ssl, and starttls came standard
> with the latest XEmacs.
>
> Also, I don't think .authinfo is necessary. If you don't specify a
> user and password, you get prompted for it anyway.
>
> Good luck, and if you if have success, I would like to know how you
> did it.

And to you : please do post your solution for google completeness.

--
lithp : syntax error