Re: Handling "identity jumpers"

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Handling "identity jumpers"
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 16:30:21 +0200

Andrzej Adam Filip <anfi@onet.eu> writes:

Hi Andrzej,

> In one of the newsgroup I read there is a person which frequently
> changes identities used in "From:" header. The person can be detected
> based on some obscure details in normally non displayed headers.
>
> How to autodetect the person in gnus news reader?
> a) some indicator when displaying the messages in summary and article
>    buffers

Have look at the variable `gnus-summary-line-format', especially at the
%u format string.

,----[ C-h v gnus-summary-line-format RET ]
| gnus-summary-line-format is a variable defined in `gnus.el'.
| Its value is
| "%{|%}%U%R%z%{|%}%(%-18,18f%{|%}%*%{%B%} %s%)\n"
|
| Documentation:
| *The format specification of the lines in the summary buffer.
|
| It works along the same lines as a normal formatting string,
| with some simple extensions.
|
| [...]
| %*   If present, indicates desired cursor position
|      (instead of after first colon).
| %u   User defined specifier.  The next character in the format string should
|      be a letter.  Gnus will call the function gnus-user-format-function-X,
|      where X is the letter following %u.  The function will be passed the
|      current header as argument.  The function should return a string, which
|      will be inserted into the summary just like information from any other
|      summary specifier.
| [...]
`----

So you could use "%uI" ("I" for identity or so) in the format string and
write a function `gnus-user-format-function-I' which does the obsure
header-checking and returns the real name of this guy.

> b) changed attribution line when citing post
>    e.g. "XXX aka YYY writes:"

Have a look at

,----[ (info "(message)Insertion Variables") ]
| `message-citation-line-function'
|      Function called to insert the citation line.  The default is
|      `message-insert-citation-line', which will lead to citation lines
|      that look like:
|
|           Hallvard B Furuseth <h.b.furuseth@usit.uio.no> writes:
|
|      Point will be at the beginning of the body of the message when
|      this function is called.
|
|      Note that Gnus provides a feature where clicking on `writes:'
|      hides the cited text.  If you change the citation line too much,
|      readers of your messages will have to adjust their Gnus, too.
|      See the variable `gnus-cite-attribution-suffix'.  *Note Article
|      Highlighting: (gnus)Article Highlighting, for details.
`----

HTH,
Tassilo
--
A morning without coffee is like something without something else.