Re: How to develop even better explanations, ever better explanations no

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: How to develop even better explanations, ever better explanations not so opaque blocking the passage of the radiant energy and the light to understanding the lisp coding a novice would insert to setup mail in gnus.
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 09:12:51 -0500

"Don Saklad" <dsaklad@gnu.org> wrote in message
5ipsg5tq41.fsf@fencepost.gnu.org">news:5ipsg5tq41.fsf@fencepost.gnu.org...
> What is the appropriate mail system to use for setting up
> mail in gnus for this system on this machine?...

Which system? Which machine?

Mutatis mutandis (use your own name and isp info of course), put the
following into .emacs

(setq user-full-name "B.T. Raven")
(setq user-mail-address "ecinmn@alcisp.com")

(setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "mail.alcisp.com")
(setq smtpmail-local-domain nil)
(setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)

(load-library "smtpmail")

(setenv "MAILHOST" "mail.alcisp.com")
(setq rmail-primary-inbox-list
 '("ecinmn@alcisp.com") rmail-pop-password-required t)
(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.alcisp.com"))
(setq gnus-check-new-newsgroups nil)
(load-library "message")
(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)

Save the .emacs file. Exit Emacs. Start emacs. Type: M-x gnus (Alt and x
simultaneously, or Esc and then x). By the way, I just tried this and it
locked up Emacs, but I had forgotten to get out of Outlook Express first.
Emacs should probably degrade more gracefully in this pathological case.
Otherwise it should work. (This was run on msw98 and emacs 21.3) You will
have to type in your user name and password each time. There are ways of
getting around this, but I haven't figured them out yet. I don't want my
password in clear text on the machine anywhere, even though it is there
somewhere in the Outlook Express setup.

> . How would you develop an even better explanation, ever better
>   explanations than are currently available?... Explications that
>   are not so opaque blocking the passage of the radiant energy
>   and the light to understanding the lisp coding a novice would
>   insert to setup mail in gnus.
>
>   If the novice does not know the lisp coding, the novice would
>   not know what is inserted for the mail setup in gnus. So a
>   better explanation could include term by term, tag by tag what
>   is going on in the lisp coding to be inserted.

If you need to understand all the inner workings of the program, then you
will have to master elisp first (and maybe C, and maybe even advanced
computer science principles.) If we need to understand it as well as RMS
does, then we should probably wait for metempsychosis.