Checking new news doesn't get new news

From: harizvi
Subject: Checking new news doesn't get new news
Date: 4 Aug 2006 07:37:23 -0700

I have been using gnus for a number of years, and am seeing a problem
lately. When checking news with 'g', gnus doesn't report new news. I
can go and individually 'M-g' newsgroups and see news reported there.

I am on:
"21.4 (patch 13) \"Rational FORTRAN\" XEmacs Lucid"
"Gnus v5.10.7"

This problem has been variously reported in the past, but it doesn't
seem like there was a solution. See
http://groups.google.com/group/gnu.emacs.gnus/browse_frm/thread/6b1e0fb6e0759d14/eeb55ac80a286bc5?lnk=st&q=&rnum=5#eeb55ac80a286bc5
or
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=gnus%20does%20not%20get%20new%20news

Any thoughts on what could be wrong here?   In this case I have started
completely from scratch, by deleting .newsrc* .gnus* News and Mail
directories, etc.

- Haider