Re: Why I can't use gnus...

From: William Xu
Subject: Re: Why I can't use gnus...
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 09:32:38 +0800

"Mathias Gehrung" <matzematiker@gmx.de> writes:

> ... as my favourite mailreader. I enjoy using gnus as newsreader, and
> so I thought it would be fine using it for mail too. So I spent some
> days trying to get it to work with the several email-accounts I'm
> using. While IMAP's working fine, I experienced several problems using
> pop and smtp. Especially when using ssl or non-standard-ports
> (i.e. gmail smtp). So I did some searching the web and this
> newsgroup. Since I don't want to get together all needed files from
> several sources and different versions, I couldn't get things to
> work.

Why not? Just download several files' latest version(namely,
smthmail.el, pop3.el, starttls.el and ssh.el), place them under your
site-lisp directory, set the following, you're done.

  (require 'starttls)
  (setq smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
        smtpmail-smtp-service 587
        smtpmail-auth-credentials
        '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 "william.xwl@gmail.com" "password"))
        smtpmail-starttls-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 nil nil)))

--
William

The number of licorice gumballs you get out of a gumball machine
increases in direct proportion to how much you hate licorice.