Re: smtpmail, starttls authentication

From: Hadron Quark
Subject: Re: smtpmail, starttls authentication
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 14:55:47 +0200

Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@newcastle.ac.uk> writes:

>   HQ> Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@newcastle.ac.uk> writes:
>
>   >> So I have played around with my attempts to get smtpmail working
>   >> with starttls -- including a wonderful 2 hours with a debugger
>   >> trying to work out the SMTP protocol.
>
>   HQ> Just FYI : It wasn't working with Linux either until I
>   HQ> downloaded the debian-snaphot. Very frustrating since I couldnt
>   HQ> find anyone to actually say they had the same issue : but I
>   HQ> suspect no one was using it until very recently.
>

> Hmmm. Well, it's a pity that the documentation does represent the
> state of development. Would be easier if I hadn't expected it to
> work.
>
> Phil

Well, on the Linux side of things its often very hard to get people to
admit that things don't work : its like insulting their children's
intelligence or something. I spent ages messing around trying to get
smtpmail working with gmail - not one person said "it doesn't work". When
I got the CVS version, voila, it all "just worked". A moral there : if
in doubt, try CVS first.