Re: can gnus support fake mail address?

From: David Z Maze
Subject: Re: can gnus support fake mail address?
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 11:08:41 -0400

winsphinx@gmail.com writes:

> David Hansen :
>
>> Use a SPAM filter like everyone else is doing.  Otherwise
>> ppl can't reply to your postings via Mail.
>
> where can i get a good spam filter for gnus?

Current versions of Gnus include spam.el, which is a generic framework
for supporting all sorts of external spam filtering systems.  I use it
with spam-stat.el which is a strictly Emacs-based Bayesian filter
which actually seems to do a very good job for me.  The definitive
source of information is almost certainly the (gnus)Spam Package info
page, which appears to be fairly detailed and includes a sample
config, a listing of supported spam back ends, and a description of
spam-stat.el.

(My one complaint with spam-stat.el is that it's pretty slow; if a
typical morning Gnus startup has 700 spam and 100 ham messages, then
running all that elisp on every message does slow things down quite a
bit.  But if I'm willing to go do something else while Gnus starts up
then it fills the "doesn't require support outside Emacs" niche pretty
well.)

I don't know what filtering your ISP does; MIT has gone through a
couple of systems that put spam-related statistics in headers, so you
could also just filter your mail away based on that.

Finally, I wouldn't be terribly concerned about Them getting your
email from Usenet as opposed to Them mailbombing your ISP/private
domain and noticing that there's some address that doesn't bounce.
IMHO it's much friendlier to the other (human!) newsgroup users to put
a real address on your posts if you're going to get spammed either
way.

  --dzm