Re: .gnus and .emacs init files

From: Hadron Quark
Subject: Re: .gnus and .emacs init files
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 11:12:45 +0200

"B. T. Raven" <ecinmn@alcisp.com> writes:

> I have the following in .emacs and some of the same entries in .gnus. Is
> there any reason other than modularizing the code that requires some
> things to go in .gnus and others in .emacs? Can anyone point me to
> setup

What would be the point in putting it .emacs? Sometimes you will run
emacs without Gnus and so it would be a waste of memory &
processing. Stick this stuff in .gnus.el where it is only used when Gnus
is used.

> code examples for using Gnus as the mail program rather than VM or rmail?
> I think I am using rmail now but I can't figure out what's going on.
> Basically I just want to use one email address for news and the other for
> mail, same password for both. Can I put the encrypted password in some
> file so that I don't have to type it in every time I start Gnus?

I use gnus for email. I keep my mail in nnmail dir format. It is
"pulled" from the pop3 mail servers using "fetchmail".

Here is some of my .gnus.el

,----
| (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "localhost"))
| (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
|       '((nnmaildir "MyMail" (directory "~/Mail/"))))
| (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnml ""))
`----

The maildir directories in ~/Mail are in the standard "new, cur, temp"
format : google.

Fetchmail gets the mail into ~/Mail using procmail as the MDA (mail
delivery agent). My .fetchmailrc looks someting like this:

,----
| set postmaster "postie"
| set no bouncemail
| set no spambounce
| set properties ""
|
| # Defaults ===============================================================
| # Set antispam to -1, since it is far safer to use that together with
| # no bouncemail
| defaults:
| timeout 300
| antispam -1
| batchlimit 100
|
| poll pop.gmail.com with proto POP3 port 995
|     user 'a1@gmail.com' there with password 'mypass' is 'a1@gmail.com' here
ssl
|        mda "/usr/bin/procmail";
|     user 'a2gmail.com' there with password 'mypass2' is 'a2@gmail.com' here
ssl
|        mda "/usr/bin/procmail";
`----

Of course I think you will want to specify Gnus as your email client too
: I'm not sure on that since "Gnus" is, well, Gnus. I just realised it
wasnt set in my setup but email from my nnmaildir groups worked just
fine. (mail-user-agent).

I hope this is enough to get you on the right path : it can be quite
daunting. Use google and best of luck! You will never go back to another
email client after mastering or, in my case, trying to master gnus.