Re: BBDB related Firefox extension

From: Gernot Hassenpflug
Subject: Re: BBDB related Firefox extension
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 16:48:30 +0900

Daniel Brooks <db48x@yahoo.com> writes:

> I imagine that not everyone on this group follows Firefox extensions,
> but there's a really interesting one that was released a few days
> ago. It's called Operator (https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/4106/),
> and basically it parses information from webpages that use
> microformats (microformats.org) and gives the user ways to actually
> use that information, such as sending the data to an address book, or
> a mapping website.
>
> Since I use Gnus and BBDB for my email and address book, I wrote an
> extension to it that takes contact information from an hCard and uses
> emacsclient to insert it into the BBDB. It's available from
> http://db48x.net/microformats/bbdb.js. It's still in the very early
> stages, and all it can do is send the data to emacs. It can't detect
> duplicate entries or try to merge them or anything like that, but I
> thought someone might be interested.

Wow! That sounds great. I will try this tonight. Hmm, never used the
vCard/hCard microformats (although many MS Windows OS users have
vCards attached to their emails), missed that bit of web magic!

Would it be possible to modify such an extension in Thunderbird (or
mozilla) also, read email adddresses from BBDB and add them to the
Thunderbird (or mozilla) addressbook?

Regards,
        Gernot
--
Gernot Hassenpflug (gernot@rish.kyoto-u.ac.jp)      Tel: +81 774 38-3866
JSPS Fellow (Rm.403, RISH, Kyoto Uni.)              Fax: +81 774 31-8463