Re: How to manually download new mail with nnml-get-new-mail set to nil?

From: Gernot Hassenpflug
Subject: Re: How to manually download new mail with nnml-get-new-mail set to nil?
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 00:48:25 +0900

    >> manually on demand, so I am at the moment using the above >>
    >> variable set to nil on gnus startup and then switch it to t >>
    >> when I want to download mail, and then switch it back to nil >>
    >> again. Not very elegant!
    >>
    John> It sounds like you might want to use group levels. You can
    John> set your mail groups at one level and your news groups at
    John> another level. I'm not positive you can set the mail groups
    John> at a level such that they don't get checked on startup, but
    John> I think so.
    >>
    John> See (info "(gnus)Group Levels").
    >>  Hello John,
    >>
    >> I tried to do this, and set the Mail groups all the 4 while
    >> news groups are set to 3. Then, with "C-u 3 g" I expected to
    >> only look for articles in groups with setting of 3 or
    >> lower. Nevertheless, mail was downloaded regardless, sadly.
    >>

    John> Hm, I would expect the same thing you did. You're sure you
    John> didn't miss any when setting them to 4?

Well, that was a good question, and you were right: on doing "C-u RET"
on my mail groups there were three that had no new messages in them
and were still on level 3. So I changed them to level 4.

However, the problem did not go away, doing a "C-u 3 g" command still
downloaded the messages from the POP server.

Perhaps I need to save the .newsrc file first, or even exit emacs
(which I'm loath to do right now) and then try again. I have all mail
groups set properly at level 4 now.

Very strange. Can anyone confirm that this actually works?

Many thanks,
     Gernot
--
G Hassenpflug