Re: Maildir as simultaneous spool and backend.

From: Michael Widerkrantz
Subject: Re: Maildir as simultaneous spool and backend.
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 10:34:55 +0100

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

> I don't recommend running more than one Gnus simultaneously.  Gnus
> keeps some state information that isn't stored in the maildirs, or
> isn't always kept synchronized with the disk state while it's
> running.

You might be interested in using gnus-slave, though. From the manual:

  Each subsequent slave Gnusae should be started with `M-x
  gnus-slave'.  These slaves won't save normal `.newsrc' files, but
  instead save "slave files" that contain information only on what
  groups have been read in the slave session.  When a master Gnus
  starts, it will read (and delete) these slave files, incorporating
  all information from them.  (The slave files will be read in the
  sequence they were created, so the latest changes will have
  precedence.)

> Personally, I keep a single Gnus running under screen, and use
> screen -x to reconnect to it.

Me too for my home Gnus, but I usually use screen -rd.